4.03.2016

Crepes & Conference



This is turning into a food blog, haha..but really we do more than cook and eat...sometimes ;) . I did find out recently that I do NOT have gestational diabetes this time around and in the nurse's words, passed my test, "With flying colors!" So that has been a reason to celebrate after having a limited diet with my first pregnancy... and what better way than with food?! I am trying to not go crazy, but regardless, every six months our family has a tradition to make crepes. We call them Conference Crepes, because we make them each morning before we watch general conference - and they get everyone, especially Eden excited for conference. Every six months the leaders of our church come together and give the most uplifting and inspirational talks - it is a time to reflect, relate, refresh, and commit to be better. I love this time a year and not only are our spirits filled, but our bellies are filled with crepe goodness as well. You can read more about conference here. As for the crepes, get ready for my favorite recipe! 

Crepe & Conf day 1: I was feeling sentimental watching this freshly bathed babe, in her fuzzy kitty jammies,  play her little "drum set" during conference today. Usually I would have felt bothered by the noise I think, but this day I reflected on how one day Reed and I will sit in an empty, quiet living room  watching conference as empty nesters and I will miss seeing this little one and hearing her playing...time goes all too fast! 



Crepe & Conf day 2: Second round of goodness this morning! 

We usually make sweet crepes the Saturday and Sunday morning of general conference (the first weekend in April and Oct). I will whip up the batter Friday night and store it in the fridge just to give myself one less thing to do in the morning. I then use half the batter one morning and finish it the next morning. We end up getting about 20 crepes from one batch, using our crepe maker. Sometimes we will do a round of savory crepes (I will leave my favorite below) for a lunch or dinner during conference. If I do this I make 1½ batches and I take a third of the batter out and store it in the fridge before adding the sugar or vanilla into the rest of the mix.

Crepes (yields about 20):

-1 C flour
-1½ C Milk (I've used both cow's milk and almond milk and both turn out great)
-2 eggs
-¼ C sugar
-1 tbsp oil (I use melted butter)
-1 tsp vanilla
-¼ tsp salt

Mix all ingredients together in the blender, until well blended. Then cook 'em up!  If you plan to make crepes a few times a year I would highly recommend getting a crepe maker. I have this one and love it! It lets me make the most perfect and thin crepes in record time. If you do not want to invest in a crepe maker, you can get a crepe pan or use a normal, well greased pan and swirl a spoonful of the batter in the same circular direction until well spread over the pan - the goal is to get them thin. 







Of course there are tons of things you can put on crepes, the possibilities are endless! I love mixed berries w/vanilla yogurt and last fall I made a pumpkin pie filling for my crepe and topped it with whipped cream and cinnamon. My favorite combos are either strawberry yogurt, bananas, strawberries, whipped cream, and chocolate syrup or nutella, strawberries, bananas, and whipped cream. YUM!

Savory crepes- there are TONS of savory crepe ideas out there - just look at pinterest, but my favorite has been to lay out the crepes, place a slice of ham on each, then spread a mixture of sour cream, dijon mustard, a dash of salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and fresh chives over the ham. Then I sprinkle cheese (usually mozzarella and cheddar).  I roll each crepe, place it in a pan, top it off with more cheese and bake it at 350 degrees util the cheese it all melted 20-30 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment